Thursday, June 04, 2009

What is involved with cycling from Land's end to John O'Grotes

The reason why I am doing this ride is because it's something that I have dreamed of doing for many years and this is a great opportunity for me to raise money for the Bluebell wood appeal, our local children's hospice who I like to donate money to when we do any fund raising.

I have already received a donation (thank you Karen) which is great because I am now totally committed to successfully completing the ride.

I have 2 great reasons to do the ride which are providing me with plenty of motivation. Now it's time to consider what is involved with cycling from Lands End to John O'Grotes.

1, Planning the route - We need to choose a route that is direct and yet misses the major roads (including motorways!). The trip will be just short of 1000 miles.
2, Accommodation - We are planning on doing the trip in 7 days. As our daily distance is likely to vairy the use of a motor home will be ideal. This way we can stop when we want without having to find B&B's.
3, Finance - Fuel for the motor home, food, bike equipment.....
4, Equipment - The bike, shoes, clothing, speedo & mileometer, GPS (map/route planning), drinks & nutrition, laptop (for blogging, recording heart data, downloading photos and sending e-mail) and most importantly bike conditioning.
5, Planning - scheduling the training so that I am ready in time for the ride, whilst maintaining a well balanced work, relationships, family, spirituality relationship that will work alongside my health & fitness and personal development which I am working on which come with achieving the trip.

At this moment in time, I think that this is all that is involved with the trip, there could well be additions!

As training develops I will blog about how I am going to achieve each of these areas that's involved and finally I will consider what else I can do with my new experiences that I can use in the future.

In the meantime, I'll keep on pedalling.

No comments: