Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Amazing

Something happened whilst we have been on holiday that I will remember for ever!

I was in the sea playing with the kids and as you can imagine, the water was cold. Since Kate was stood close by I asked her to look after my wedding ring as my finger had shrunk and the ring was a little too loose for my liking.

Kate gladly took it.

After a short time Kate was reading her book laying on her beach towel with my ring by her side. Some more time had passed and Kate had finished her book got up shook the sand off her towel and walked back to the beach hut only to remember half an hour later that my ring was on the towel when she shook the sand off.

I felt really very sad when she told me and soon we had 7 or 8 people looking in the sand in the area it my have been.

Usually I believe that I can find anything, anywhere, however, with how I was feeling the task in hand seemed even harder than finding a needle in a haystack, all the helpers kicking the sand around, burying the ring even deeper in to the sand, even further away from where it originally was.

After an hour or so the very kind people who was helping us, Kate and myself had given up.

Gutted, Kate and I went for a walk, sat on the beach on our own and talked about how important the ring was and the memories attached to it, we discussed that we could get a new ring and rebuild new memories with it and it was important for me to point out that my sadness was about loosing the ring only and that the emotions had no attachment to anything else such as people (as in Kate and the kids).

We returned back to the beach hut and after 5 minutes Kate got up and walked back out to the beach and I followed moments later to find that Kate had drawn two boxes on the ground to mark out where the ring would be and we started looking for the ring again.

Kate made a comment about my technique for searching in the sand compared to her flicking the sand around technique and in the process flicked the ring out off the ground....a very emotional moment!!!

Now, here's the thing. I have just finished reading a book called The Holographic Universe which suggests that everything we are experiencing on the outside of our eyelids is an illusion and we construct the concrete things around us (yes, it is a head bending book!) do I need any more proof that we create these illusions?

First of all, for what purpose did I want to take my ring off to begin with? I have swam in cold water before and kept my ring on.

For what purpose did Kate forget the ring was on the towel?

And how can it be that 7 or 8 people can miss it for 1 hour of searching for it, where it had been dropped and then nearly 2 hours after Kate deciding that she was going to find it, no matter what and it appearing with in moments of making this decision.

I have little concern for the answer as we have found the ring, however, how was the illusion created that the ring wasn't where we had previously being looking and then for it to be there!!

Amazing.