Monday, August 03, 2009

Todays training....

...was a pleasure to ride :-)

Setting off, I had my awareness all around me, taking in the traffic, the road and the view of the trees and fields as I cycle by. I love the start, going for it, check out what is going on all around and then settling down into a great pace.

Once into the groove, its time to check on the inside! I have a look at my internal engine, checking on how my leg muscles are all firing in harmony.
With each combustive beat of my heart, fuel is firing my leg muscles into action and making my feet circle around the crank, giving me the drive to achieve my goal of beating my best performance to date.

I can hear my breathing, as air is rushing in to my lungs and taking even longer to exhale, I have a continually smooth rhythm. As I check on the outside I love the noise of my tyres whirring on the warm tarmac and the ticking of the chain set as I pedal along at 20+ miles an hour.

It feels great, powering on to the pedals, having a warm, slight burning feeling on my leg muscles, chest raising and falling and feeling of riding fast is very satisfying!

On the last part of my training ride, I realise that this is going to be a good performance and an excellent time. I want to beat my best time, I feel good and know the road ahead, I've been monitoring my bodies performance and I know that for the last 10 to 15 minutes I can push and make that extra effort.

I must admit making the extra effort feels great, there is nothing going on around me, I'm just griding out the last few miles with the image in my mind of looking at my watch and seeing that I have beaten my time and achieved my goal.

I beat my time by 1 minute 45 seconds......go figure :-)

No comments: