Monday, April 23, 2007

The learning process

With recent setbacks, I have been a little disappointed with myself, as a person. I have gained so much knowledge in the last twelve months, regarding personnel development, that I thought I was doing really well in my preparation for this season. As it turns out I feel like I am pretending to be a person that I have not yet become.

After speaking with Ashley Scott, he explained to me that there are different levels of learning, of which, I can understand when comparing it teaching new motocross techniques when coaching. Our brain can process approximately seven chunks of information per second and when riding a bike we will use quite a few of these chunks just controlling the bike, i.e. using the throttle - 1 chunk, changing gear - 2 chunks, standing up - 3 chunks and also consider both brakes as well.

Now, imagine just being told about a new technique and it requires braking at a different time, standing and holding your body in a different position, before you know it you've used all your chunks of information up and it becomes difficult to adapt the new technique, however, with practice the new technique becomes an unconscious habit and becomes apart of how you ride a bike.

I guess, for me, it is quite hard to actually see if new mental techniques have become an unconscious habit, because unlike a new motocross technique, mental skills aren't visible to the normal persons eye (if they are unaware of the techniques being used!), this is one of the great advantages of recording data, as for physical training, it provides feed back. I can re-read my blog and see how I am doing!

No comments: