Thursday, April 05, 2007

MX3 Round 1

On returning from my first MX3 race, I feel very disappointed with myself.
Before I left I needed to sort out a different van to travel to the race in. My friend, Matt Coles, kindly let me borrow his van, however, the van had no tow bar so we were unable to take the caravan.
Going to an MX3 grand prix in a Mercedes Vito van was not how I had planned my first race. Although this meant that we could save a lot of time by travelling faster on the roads (without the caravan), it also meant we had to find a hotel once we were there, as well as setting up each morning and packing each night, I felt that this was poor preparation, on my behalf.
During practice on Saturday we had a few rain showers, which was great as I love riding in the wet, however, my friend with me didn't share the same view and I found myself using energy, explaining to him that rain is good, so he could be positive and my environment would be a better place to be.
I had agreed to let another British rider use my power washer and to be told it wasn't working when I went to use for the first time meant that I had to strip the pump down, clean and rebuild it before we could start preparing the bike for the next session. I was pleased to be able to help someone else, with the loan of my washer and this was fine.
I really enjoyed riding on the track, it's a really fun track to ride.
By the time we were packed up and off to the hotel, the time was quite late, which meant we ate late, went to bed late and got up late.
I took my time to get ready and went straight down for practice, to arrive there just in time. Sunday warm up for me is 4 or 5 laps warming up followed by 4 or 5 laps at full speed. On my 3rd warm up lap, I fell off. I don't know what I did differently and the fall defiantly took me by surprise.
I realised that I had hurt my left wrist immediately and was really pleased when the initial pain had passed and I thought I had only a bruise. Before the first race however, there was swelling and more discomfort. I got ready to race and as I rode down the start straight I thought I was going to be ok, however, after exiting the first turn and hitting the first bump, I found that I was unable to hold on to the handle bar and was in great pain.
There was to be no racing for me and we set off for home straight away.
After visiting the doctors, it was very clear that my scaphoid bone was broken and that I needed to return to the fracture clinic the following day. After another doctor had looked at the x-rays, I was told that the scaphoid had been broke for over 5 years and that I had a fractured my arm!
I am now in cast for 4 weeks and will start training on Monday.

No comments: