Sunday, October 29, 2006

Goals and a Clear mind

I went to a family Halloween party on Saturday night, at my parents house and it was great fun.
We had invited our friends from Oxford, Geoff and Jo Goddard and their daughter Frayer.
I meet Geoff 14 years ago as an agent who would take care of my race entries and we became very good friends.
As we got to know each other Geoff had read a book call 'Unlimited Power' by Anthony Robbins. This book was my first insight into psychology, I was aware that racing was not just about the bike and there was alot to do with the mind. Unaware of any mental techniques, this book, to me, was very fascinating and would be the starting point in my interest in psychology.
As I have mentioned below, I have very clear pictures in my mind (internal representations) of how my future will be and I know that in three years time (December 2009) I will qualify to be a sports psychologist.
As you read this now, I am very excited and I am looking forward to this time in my life, even though, I will need to go through the process of achieving my dream first.
The great thing is, regardless of winning, I still have many things to look forward to when this time is up.
When I decided to finish racing in 2004 I felt like a broken man with nothing to live for.
Having goals and a clear mind is very fulfilling.

To set goals, I have used an anagram. SMARTER. Each letter is the start of a word and each word is what you need to consider when setting effective goals.

S = Specific
M = Measurable
A = Achievable
R = Reasons
T = Timed
E = Empowering
R = Review and Reward

This is what I consider as training to be world champion and I still have done no riding!!!

No comments: