Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Challenge

In February 2004 my preparation for competing in this seasons British four stroke championship was going really. I had just returned from a three week trip in America and I was riding at a speed quicker than the MX2 world champion Jamie Dobb.
I went to practice at an indoor track where the consequences of an accident had a dramatic impact on me which would crush my unconscious mind to the point that within three months of racing I had decided that I had had enough and it was time to stop.
After making this decision it would leave me an empty corpse and give my wife and kids a tough time.
Over time, I got over my decision, however, I still felt unhappy that I had left my dream unfulfilled. I am still burning inside to win the Four stroke British championship and MX3 World Championship. A huge challenge, which I am determined to enjoy.

I was fortunate to meet Ashley Scott, a sports psychologist, at an A.C.U. Coaching seminar (Coaching is something I really enjoy). Ashley gave me the answers I needed to start this challenge and a blank sheet to work on.
* I should point out that this blank sheet I have started working from is the result of a life changing appointment with Ashley, who I have got to know and received a great deal of help from scince.

So, while I was working in Iceland (coaching and racing) I had started to rebuild my fitness and riding so I was ready to compete in the 2006 season. It felt great, I was training as if I was already world champion and having good results with my training. However, as the season started I began to have problems which where a lack of preparation for a seasons racing. I had over looked my life style. As a pro rider everything was great, I had good speed and fitness and a mental awareness that I hadn't experienced before. This was quite a big part of a whole circle and had not noticed consciously that my relationship with family,relationships, and wealth(work) where very out of balance.
I read a book called 'The 7 habits of effective people' and with some help from Ashley (who suggested the book) I realized that to get different results compared to the past, I need to change in a way that would allow me to get my new desired results.
This would require thinking in solitude. Usually I would ask for as many peoples advice as possible. I had learned from the book how to become independent and I think that this was my first step in making changes in my self-development.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1