Thursday, December 07, 2006

Perception of effort Vs Actual heart rate...with a difference

I've had a session in the gym this morning and for the first time in many months, I used a treadmill.
I really enjoyed this session and what was really fun was noticing how my body was responding as I went from one training zone in to another.

On my first set, I started in my higher sub-aerobic zone ( I wanted to be inbetween my lower and upper aerobic zone). To get my heart rate into the next zone I increased the pace gradually. Without looking at my heart rate monitor I could feel that I had entered the lower end of my aerobic zone as my breathing changed from light breathing to controlled heavier breathing. I could almost feel my body starting to use a different energy system.

Towards the end of the session, as the stress of the exercise was increasing (due to the length of time exercising), my heart rate had climbed to the ceiling of my aerobic zone.
I can tell that I stayed in the right zone as my breathing was still controlled and heavier than earlier in the session, however, I know that, when I pass this point into my anaerobic zone my breathing is laboured and the stress on my body feels more taxed compared to the aerobic zone.

I would be really interested, to see, how close my perception of each training zone is compared to results from an actual maximum fitness test with specific heart rate numbers!

And so continues, my interest in, Perception of effort Vs Actual heart rate

No comments: