Monday, November 06, 2006

'Perception of effort' vs Actual heart rate

On my cycle training session this morning, I gave thought to two parts, which seem to me, are closely linked:- Actual heart rate and 'perception of effort'.
This session was an aerobic workout, which means that the muscle groups in use are using oxygen for energy supply and improves general fitness. I was working at the higher end of this zone and set off on the ride with having a heart rate (HR) slightly over 156 beats per minute (BPM) (as worked out for my programme). The perception of effort, was to be 'somewhat hard'.

I found this interesting, as I was riding and consciously checking that my HR was slightly over 156, I would agree with myself that my perception of effort was 'somewhat hard'.
The further I got into the session the more I concentrated on my varied music (from the MP3 player!) and would consciously think about my 'perception of effort' to check how I was doing.

Getting into a rhythm and felling really at one with the bike, I glanced at the HR monitor to see that I was riding 163-165 BPM.

My thoughts snowballed on to thinking of my time doing a maximal HR test at Sheffield University. To check if a person is over training, the staff use a questionnaire. No fancy tests, just answer some questions.

If answering questions can tell you if you are over training, who says you are over training?
It can only be yourself.
So, if my 'perception of effort' is a higher HR than I should be training at (even if my HR is in a different zone) then, so long as I think my perception of what I am doing is equivalent to the sessions 'perception of effort' no over training should occur.

I will continue to monitor this as my sessions get harder!

If any men reading this think you my be over training, one of the questions for over training is: Do you have a woody when you wake up in the morning?
If you normally do and this stops happening, it's possible you are over training!

No comments: