Monday, May 14, 2007

Unconscious habits

A few different things have been happening recently. Whilst I have had my cast on, I have created some great ideas for the track. Massive ideas that will take, may be, a couple of years to get exactly what I want, and, like my racing, has taken a hold of me. This has meant that I have needed to rethink my training plan and approach to the business. My training is based around having fun.

I love cycling - Monday - Up to 1 hour
I love swimming - Tuesday to Friday - Up to 45 mins
I love motocross - Wednesday & Saturday(or race day) - as long as possible

Kate, the kids and myself, went out for something to eat the other night and whilst we were talking about someone we know, I recalled something I had learned from the book 'The 7 habits of highly effective people'. In this great book there is a chapter about how we spend our time, and like our friend, I used to have the same habit. It would be the 'all or nothing' life style, I would have lots of deadline jobs, that I had to have done yesterday and then, when I had decided I had done enough work for the day, I would go home to do nothing other than sit and watch TV and think about how many jobs I HAVE to do, whilst sitting there, doing nothing!

The effective habit that is promoted, in the book, is basically to spend as much time as possible preparing for jobs, doing jobs that are important and not urgent. I now seem to spend more time doing little jobs, for a longer period of time (i.e. from when I get up in the morning, to when I go to bed at night). I now, feel like I do hardly any work and I get far more jobs done than ever before, with a better quality of workmanship.

This is great.

I am grateful, for this conversation with Kate, as I now realise, that this has become an unconscious habit.

No comments: