Monday, March 12, 2007

Think about it!

I have had a great day training today, the track (Doncaster Moto Parc) was in really good condition. Damp, soft and very flat. The later being a draw back because a flat track is less demanding, physically, than when it's rough.
However, I gained some valuable feedback and I got the chance to ride the bike at high speeds, which is always fun.

In fact today is the second day in a row where I have had the opportunity to ride at high speed, as I rode at Thoresway Moto Parc on Sunday, where I was a little rusty to start off with and in my last session, I was beginning to feel at home on the circuit (it's been some time that I have ridden on a dry hard pack track).

Regarding the feedback I received today, I noticed something whilst I was riding. I want to overcome, fading, physically, after twenty minutes in to, a forty minute moto.
As I mentioned above, the track was flat with no bumps and my average heart rate after my warm up was 160 bpm. The track is so flat and my fitness is at a level where I should be able to ride full speed for forty minutes, so I really had to think to myself 'what is it, that is making me feel tired at twenty minutes?', my fitness is good, I am comfortable riding at high speed.
To start off with I thought that to overcome feeling tired, I just need to ride more, so my body can adapt to riding for this length of time, which, I am sure is true. However, this is not the real answer.

I was focusing on the problem, fading at twenty minutes.... This is something I don't want. This made me ask the question.... what is it that I really want?.... of course I want to win races.... What is the most important part of any race?.... the last couple of laps..... I want to be so fast at the end of a race, so I can beat the opposition and win races.... what do I want to focus on when I am training?.... putting faster lap times in at the end of a moto.

I was thinking this during my moto and needless to say I was making a few mistakes! however, I am really happy to have noticed this, rather than, riding (for me) incorrectly.

Another part of my riding today, that I am really benefiting from, is advice given to me from Harry Everts, which seems a little obvious, however, it takes conscious thought, for me to continually use the technique, it has definitely improved my speed with no extra effort, would you like to know whats involved with using this technique? do you want know how to do it? are you ready?.... when you let go of the brakes (when braking for a corner) put the throttle on straight away! How simple is that? I am riding faster for this simple instruction!

No comments: